15 Mars 2011
After a week of midterms I was able to relax and have some fun in Madrid! But, before I get to sunny Spain, here's what I have been doing up til midterms:
I went to the Musée Carnavalet, the museum of history. Very fascinating! It's in the hôtel du Carnavalet in the Marais. Many of the rooms are furnished in various time periods. They also have a whole floor dedicated to the French Revolution. There you can find locks of Marie Antoinette's hair, old uniforms of the revolters, and their sabres.
Last weekend I went to the towns of Reims and Chartres. We took the train, SNCF, and it was my first ever train ride! I prefer it to the bus we took to Brussels, it was very fast and comfortable. Also, exactly on time.
Reims is in Champagne, the region where true Champagne is made. We visited their cathedral (very beautiful), their beaux-arts museum, a basilicia, and, of course, a champagne house.
Taittinger is one of the major houses of champagne in Reims. It used to be an old monastry before it was destroyed, you can still see some remains of the monastry down in the cellars. They had millions of bottles in their cellars, and we were given a free flute of champagne. I must say, the best champagne I've ever had!
That night we found a creperie called Louise. It was so cute inside! Very feminine, with pink lamps and velvet chairs. We each had a galette and a crepe, it was delicious.
Chartres is famous for the grand Cathedral. However, it was undergoing renovation when we arrived. Nonetheless, we climbed the bell tower to see the amazing view of the town and countryside. The town itself is very cute, in the old parts it's somewhat medevial. Oh, by the way, don't go to the house of mosiacs. It's closed until summer.
A friend and I won tickets to go to a classical concert. The pianist played Chopin in St. Ephrem, a church in the Latin Quarter. It was a great setting, with candles and since the church was small, it was more intimate. Before going to the concert, my friend and I had dinner at Breakfast in America, just down the street. They serve breakfast (and other meals) all day long, american-style. They also have Budweiser on the menu, in case you miss American beer (that's to you Dad)
Then that wednesday I had a Louvre visit with my art history class. We visited Renaissance paintings, especially portraits by François Clouet and the l'école fountainebleau. The most curious one is "Gabrielle Déstrees et sa soeur au bain." Look it up, and you will see why.
Thursday, I had lunch with my friends at Café Daguerre before one went off to Cork to visit family. It was a very good brunch, I highly recommend it: café, orange juice, pain au chocolat, and an omelette.
Later that night, my friend (who was still in Paris) and I had a date night and went to watch "Les femmes du 6ème étage" at the movies on Champs Elysees. Very good movie! It was in French, and I understood it.
Friday I checked out the neoclassical church Madeline. Very beautiful, and different from the gothic ones I've been visiting lately. It was gorgeous out, and I rested on the steps leading to the Madeline, which seems to be a popular thing to do on a sunny day.
Saturday my host-mom had a soiree! She had a comedian come and give a skit. Around 30-40 people arrived, bringing appetiziers, wine, or other goodies. She had set up her living room as a theatre spot with gorgeous gold and red drapes. I didn't understand all the skits, but the ones I did were funny and it was fun to chill afterwards.
Sunday was devoted completely to studying, then my week of midterms :(
But, then I was off to Madrid! More on that trip later, I'm off to class again
Au revoir
MM
No comments:
Post a Comment